Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congressman John Conyers

Representing the 13th District of Michigan

Agency Help

If you need help contacting or working with a federal agency such as the Department of Education, Department of Labor, or Department of Veterans Affairs, please contact Congressman Conyers’ Detroit office. His staff will be happy to confidentially discuss your circumstance and help you to take the next steps.

Not sure if your issue is a federal one? Visit our list of local federal agencies and find out what they do.

If the office can be of assistance, you will need to download and fill out a Privacy Release Form and submit it to the Detroit office via fax or mail. Once the form has been received and processed, you will be contacted for any additional information before any federal agency is contacted. You can access the form here.

Importantly, congressional offices cannot force federal agencies to reach specific outcomes. Offices can only communicate the circumstances of particular cases and request that agencies take appropriate actions to assist you. Congressman Conyers and his staff are pleased to help you with any number of issues relating to federal agencies, including, but not limited to:

  • Consumer Protection
  • Federal Student Financial Aid
  • Medicare/Medicaid Benefits
  • Social Security Benefits
  • Veterans Affairs Benefits
  • Immigration Status

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: Are you a resident of the 13th Congressional District of Michigan?

A: Each member of Congress has the privilege to serve his or her own constituents. If you are not a resident of the 13th Congressional District of Michigan, please click here to find your representative.

Q: Does your case involve a federal agency?

A: Congressman Conyers is only able to make inquiries of federal agencies. If your case involves a state or local agency, please contact your state or local government representative for assistance. If you live in Michigan, click here for more information.

Q: Does the case you are concerned about involve you?

A: While you are welcome to contact the office to seek assistance for someone else, due to privacy laws, official inquiries require the signature of the individual whose information is being accessed.

Q: Is this a legal dispute?

A: Congressman Conyers and his staff are unable to become involved in court cases or legal issues due to judicial independence of our court system.

Q: Does your situation involve a law that you would like to see changed?

A: If you are advocating for a change in the law, you can submit your comments electronically by clicking here, or contacting the Detroit or Washington, D.C. office. Please be assured that every comment or question is shared with Congressman Conyers and he will work closely with the office to provide you with a response as quickly as possible.

Q: Is an agency already working on your case?

A: It is rare that a case can be “sped up” for any reason other than extreme hardship. If you believe your situation merits faster processing, please contact the Detroit office as soon as possible. The staff will discuss your situation with you and help determine the proper strategy.

If you are still unsure whether our office can assist you with your case, please contact the Detroit office at (313) 961-5670. The Congressman’s staff will discuss your situation with you and work with you to determine the best course of action.

Please Note:

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.

Authorization Form

This is a three step process.  Step one is to fill in the form with the required data, then click the “Generate Request for Review” button at the bottom of the page.  Once reviewed, print and mail, fax, or hand deliver the document to our office.  The address and fax number are on the generated page.

In accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, I give Congressman John Conyers authority to act on my behalf.

  marks required fields of data.

Your Information

What are these options?
This is to help the constituents that are hard of hearing or use a video phone alert us to that fact so we can use the proper technology when we need to call them. The default option “Voice” is a normal audible telephone.

Print This Form

Use the Generate Request for Review button to produce the document to authorize our office to help you. Print, sign, and mail, fax, or hand deliver it to the address shown on the document. Please include any other documents or material that you think would help our office help you.